Universal credit

The government is changing the way in which benefits are assessed and paid to claimants.

It is important that you keep us informed when you transition into universal credit by contacting us at income.recovery@nvhwoking.co.uk so that we can help you manage your rent account.

Universal Credit (or UC for short) is going to replace current means tested benefits, such as JSA, ESA, income support and tax credits.

This is currently available to new single male claimants, but will rolled out to everybody starting on 28/10/2018.

UC is split into two categories, living allowance and housing allowance. This will be paid directly into your bank account and the responsibility will be on you to use the money you receive to manage your personal finances. This includes paying things like your rent, Council Tax and other utility bills in full and on time.

If you have any queries regarding your claim, contact the Department for Work and Pensions https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

If you need any independent advice contact Woking Citizens Advice http://www.wokingcab.org/

​If you are having any trouble paying your rent contact us, we will do our best to help you come to an affordable arrangement. ​Below is a handy video from GOV.uk explaining all the basics. We are hoping to offer some financial inclusion workshops if you think you are going to struggle, contact us to get booked on.

​The worst thing you can do is nothing at all.