Moving in

After you have been through the allocations process and you have accepted a house, you will be required to come to the Civic Offices to sign up for the property.

You will need to bring with you

  • Photographic proof of ID (If it is a joint tenancy we will require both of you to come and bring ID)
  • Your bank details so you can sign up to Direct Debit

​To make sure you are ready, we have created a Moving Checklist [pdf] 200KB  you can download to remind of you of all the little things that need to be done when you change address.

What's next?​

Thats it. Once you have taken the keys you have taken possession of the property. For your safety we would ask you to be aware of

​Fire safety

  • never leave cigarettes burning
  • never smoke in bed
  • keep matches away from children
  • unplug phone chargers when not in use
  • never leave a chip pan unattended
  • regularly check your smoke alarm and batteries
  • plan how you would get out in a fire and practise it with your family

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can kill quickly. You cannot see it or smell it, but if you breathe it in you will rapidly become tired and dizzy, possibly with head and chest aches.

If you have a carbon monoxide alarm you must test it regularly, and do not paint it or cover it up. If the alarm sounds or you think carbon monoxide may be escaping you should call New Vision Homes immediately, and open doors and windows.

Moving out

How do I inform you that I want to move out?

​You must give the New Vision Homes at least 28 days/4 weeks notice before you leave. If you move without telling us, you may be charged four weeks rent from the time that you moved.

​In certain circumstances, it may be possible to terminate a tenancy giving less than four weeks notice. This may apply in some cases where notice is being given to terminate the tenancy following the death of a relative.

What do I need to do next?

You need to leave the property as it was before you first moved in (barring normal wear and tear), so that it is clean, tidy and ready for the next tenant to move in. In accordance with your tenancy conditions you are required to look after the property and maintain the premises in reasonable decorative order.

​Once you have given notice to terminate, your housing manager will provide a free property inspection to determine the condition of the property, and confirm if there are any repair works that you are responsible for rectifying before moving out.

​If we have to undertake work that is your responsibility you will be charged for the cost of the work. Under the terms of your tenancy you may be recharged for any of the following:

  • ​any repairs that are the result of accidental damage or neglect
  • the clearing of rubbish, unwanted furniture, and/or any other items left in the house, shed, garage or garden
  • reinstating the property to its original condition as a result of any alterations and or adaptations undertaken by you without the appropriate permission

What happens after I move out?

Once you have moved out our voids team will inspect the property and undertake any works required. If there is any work identified which was your responsibility to rectify it will be undertaken by the voids team as a rechargeable item, we will then send you an itemised invoice of all rechargeable items and ask you to make an arrangement to pay.