Gas Flame

Gas safety

Property owners - service your gas appliances!

All property owners should have their gas appliances serviced and checked by registered contractor at lease once a year.

If you do not have your gas appliances such as gas boilers, cookers and fire regularly serviced and safety checked, you could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please note, if you are leaseholder it is your responsibility to find a gas contractor and arrange for a safety check. You can click here to find a Gas Safe contractor near you.

What is a gas safety check?

All gas checks should be conducted by a Gas Safe registered contractor.

During a gas safety check, an engineer will inspect your gas appliances to check they are working correctly and identify and defects which require repairs.

Gas checks can be arranged in two ways on a one-off basis. Under this arrangement, if any repairs are needed for breakdowns, parts and labour have to be paid for separately.

Alternatively you could arrange an annual contract. This will include a annual gas service as well as parts and labour in the event of a breakdown during the year. Annual contracts vary and you should compare different Gas Safe registered contractors to ensure you obtain the contract that is best for you.

Certain people are entitled to a free gas safety check. Your gas supplier may conduct a gas safety check free of charge on request if you are a home owner and on means tested benefits you:

  • ​are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically ill and live alone or with others who are of pensionable age, chronically ill, or under 18
  • are living with others where at least one is under five years old

  • have not had a gas safety check carried out at the premises in the last 12 month

What is a service?

A gas safety check assesses the basic safety of a gas appliance, but a service consists of a full check. The engineer is likely to take the appliance apart to inspect it, looking at the physical condition and carrying out performance tests. Servicing your gas appliances regularly will ensure they are safe to use and that they maintain more efficient energy performance.

If you notice any of these warning signs you should arrange for a service:

  • your gas appliance is not working properly

  • the appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame

  • there are black marks or stains on or around the appliance

  • the pilot light keeps going out

  • there is increased condensation in the room

Gas safety and subletting

If you sublet your property, you are a landlord.

As a landlord you are required under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998 to service the gas appliances in the property that you let on an annual basis, and provide your tenant(s) with the Gas Safety Certificate issued to you by the Gas Safe engineer carrying out the work. The servicing must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered contractor.

Failure to conduct annual gas safety checks puts your tenant(s) and their neighbours at risk from potentially faulty appliances and carbon monoxide gas. This gas is highly poisonous but has no colour, taste or smell. The only way to detect it is with a certified carbon monoxide alarm. An alarm with a sealed for life battery and seven year sensor is recommended.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by poorly fitted or maintained gas appliances such as cookers, fires and boilers. Also, cooking with oversized pots starves gas flame of oxygen and can generate carbon monoxide. Appliances using paraffin, coal or wood can also produce carbon monoxide. Additionally, carbon monoxide can enter a property from nearby premises, for example, through shared flues or chimneys in communal blocks or terrace housing.

To improve home safety

  1. Get your appliances checked regularly

  2. Fit a certified carbon monoxide alarm

  3. Keep ventilation ways clear

If you think you have a problem with carbon monoxide call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999

Installing new heating appliances

If you plan to install any new appliances such as boilers, fires, or range cookers with a chimney/flue which also provide heating, these must be fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The engineer should then notify your local authority of the installation within 30 days. The Gas Safe Register service will send you a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, which you need to keep as part of your records.

Gase safety Register Customer Services Number 0800 408 5500.

It remains your responsibility to confirm that your local authority has been notified by the engineer about your new appliance. If your engineer does not notify your local authority of the installation, contact your engineer and instruct them to notify your local authority immediately.