Financial help, hardships funds and grants

Financial help

If you are struggling financially, you can access help from a range of services

New Vision Homes tenants - If you are having problems making your rent payments please speak to our Income Recovery Team on 0300 373 0373 option 3 

Other options for finding financial help and advice can be found at:

Surrey Crisis Fund This is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster.

Benefits If you require information regarding claiming benefits during this time please visit the webpages at the Department of Work Pensions: 

Universal Credit helpline You can apply for Universal Credit on this link:

You can also call the Universal Credit helpline to get help making your claim online or if you need help applying for an advance payment.
Telephone 0800328 5644 or Textphone 0800 328 1344 (open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).

Surrey Welfare Rights Unit (SWRU) website contains up to date information about benefits available. There is also guidance for the self-employed.

Job centres remain open and will continue to support people who are not able to use phones and online
Advice about how to access benefits and job centre appointments can be found on the government web pages at

Citizens Advice Service can help with enquiries about benefits and financial support. Their service is now completely online and has a wide range of help and support via the web page: 


Council Tax help can be claimed via calling: 01483 755 855 or visitng


Hardships funds and grants

If you are suffering financially due to Coronavirus there are lots of funds available that could help you from different organisations and chairties. You can search for funds on website Turn2Us.

It is also adviseable to talk to charites and the local authority who might be able to refer you to other agencies who you cannot get access to directly.

Below are some examples of what is available to you:

Fund: An emergency fund for hospitality workers affected by coronavirus. A fundraising appeal has been launched to help build a pot of money to give one off payments to those impacted.

Source: Hospitality Action and We Are Tip Jar

More info:


Fund: A general fund for those involved in the travel industry, including agents and operators, which is now accepting applications from those facing hardship due to coronavirus. Must able to demonstrate you have sought help from apporpriate agencies first.

Source: ABTA Lifeline

More info:


Fund: For those who have worked in the entertainments industry for at least 7 years and are unable to work due to injury, illness or old age. Applicants must claim all benefits and grants from the government before applying.

Source: Royal Theatrical Fund

More info:


Fund: Retail workers and their families at genuine risk of becoming homeless or unable to provide basic essentials or pay utility bills. Includes contractors and temporary staff who support the retail industry in supply and distribution.

Source: Retail Trust

More info:


Fund: Funds for care workers who are taking time off for illness. Applicants must work in a role involved in or supporting the provision of adult, elderly or disabled care.

Source: The Care Workers Charity

More info:


Fund: Hardship grants for licensed trade people who work in pubs, bars and breweries. Applicants need to be claiming all benefits they are entilted to and have 5 years experience in licensed trade.

Source: Licensed Trade Charity

More info:


Fund: General hardship grants for those who work in home improvement or enhancement industry. Must be working in the industry for at least 1 year. Those eligible tend to be those who earn less than £20,000 a year before tax.

Source: Rainy Day Trust

More info:


Fund: Fund to alleviate some of the immediate financial measures for professional musicians. Applicants must be professional musicians, self-employed or currently unemployed, not in full time further education and in need of financial help.

Source: Help Musicians

More info:


Fund: A fund for authors, whose income has been affected by Coronavirus. Intended for those whose author-related activities make up a substantial amount of their annual income and is designed for urgent needs.

Source: Society of Authors

More info:


Fund: For people dependent on zero hours contracts who have lost their job, or had a substantial reduction in income as a result of the Coronavirus. The aim is to help people buy food. Applicants must be a legal UK resident, over 18 and claming all benefits they are entitled to, on a sero-hours contract.

Source: The National Benevolent Charity

More info:


Fund: Fund for individuals working in the cultural sector who have had work affected by Coronavirus. Applicants must e working in the cultural sector. Funds can be used to cover lost wages or living costs. 50% of an applicants income must come from creative freelance work.

Source: Arts Council England

More info: